In our society, where we have a tendency to constantly be in a state of “go go go” it can be a real challenge to find the energy to give anymore without feeling stressed, tired, exhausted and just flat out, well, drained.
Maybe it’s after a long day of work and you find yourself getting a call from a family member with another problem and you just don’t have the energy to deal with it. Or maybe it’s struggling to have patience with that one difficult customer.
Regardless of the exact scenario, these situations can all be really challenging. If we don’t take time out of our day to really tune into ourselves and give ourselves some good ol’ self-care, we can find ourselves in this constant place of being drained and stressed out. And frankly, that’s not good for you or anyone around you.
So here are 10 simple tools that can help you give without feeling drained:
1. Spend time in nature. Go out and soak up some sun, breathe in the fresh air, walk barefoot in the grass, and marvel in the blissful sound of birds chirping.
2. Exercise! When we strengthen our bodies, we also strengthen our entire being. So go for a run, do some yoga, or hit up the gym.
3. Eat well. Are you finding yourself always in a hurry and rushing over to McDonald’s? Well if you really want to replenish yourself so you’re not drained and stressed out all the time, then find some alternative foods to eat that are much nutritious for you. Eat some fruit and veggies. Have a salad. Maybe even try out going paleo, vegan or gluten free. Find food that energizes you and makes you feel like you’re at your optimal health.
4. Get enough sleep. One of the most important factors of our mental health and overall well-being is the amount and quality of sleep we get each night. After all, our brains can’t function optimally if we don’t give it a chance to rest! The general rule of thumb is to shoot for somewhere between 7 to 9 hours each night, depending on what your body needs.
5. Support yourself. We can’t really support others, nor can we fully receive support from others, if we don’t support ourselves. So support yourself in the work you do by praising yourself for a job well done, rather than be super critical about it not being “good enough.” Support yourself in relationships by being in relationships with people who are kind, loyal, and respectful of you.
6. Meditate — often. Enough said.
7. Breathe! When we’re stressed and worn out, we habitually forget to breathe. So bring everything back to the breath and do it often! Take deep breaths and then let it all out.
8. Do things that light you up. Be sure that you’re taking time each week (or even day) to do things that you really truly enjoy doing. Do what you feel passionate about. Take time to write, take photos, grow a garden, take your dog for a walk, dance… do whatever helps bring more fun to your life and energizes you.
9. Bring passion into what you do. While it is important to do things that you already feel passionate about, it’s also important to put forth the effort to bring passion into what you do already. Bring passion into regular exercise routine, bring passion into your not-quite-dream-job, and bring passion into your new diet. When we bring passion into all aspects of our life, we can then find ourselves much happier — which supplies us with plenty of joy and love to share with others.
10. Give yourself some alone time. While it can be easy with our busy lives to always be socializing and doing things with others, it is also important to give yourself some “me” time to do whatever with yourself. Take some time to yourself to journal, read, or reflect on your day. Take some time to go someplace by yourself so you have space to deal completely with your own thoughts, emotions, and overall experience. Allow yourself to take some moments to stop and look within — for it is within that our endless supply of love dwells.
Now I’d like to hear from you! Out of the 10 tools listed, which one are you going to do today to help you “fill yourself up”? Share it in the comments below!
Jennifer is a self and relationship coach and the founder of JenniferTwardowski.com. Her mission is to help women tap into the love that they possess within themselves to create more loving relationships in their lives. Click here for her Free Self and Relationship Healing Meditation and weekly blog updates. To learn about how you can work with her, click here.
— This feed and its contents are the property of The Huffington Post, and use is subject to our terms. It may be used for personal consumption, but may not be distributed on a website.
GPS for the Soul – The Huffington Post
Special News Bulletin-http://www.acrx.org -As millions of Americans strive to deal with the economic downturn,loss of jobs,foreclosures,high cost of gas,and the rising cost of prescription drug cost. Charles Myrick ,the President of American Consultants Rx, announced the re-release of the American Consultants Rx community service project which consist of millions of free discount prescription cards being donated to thousands of not for profits,hospitals,schools,churches,etc. in an effort to assist the uninsured,under insured,and seniors deal with the high cost of prescription drugs.-American Consultants Rx -Pharmacy Discount Network News